In marked contrast to the Catholic bishops, who have thrown unprecedented resources into supporting a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage, the Episcopal church in the state is opposed to the amendment. Episcopal Bishop Brian N. Prior says this decision is grounded in the firm principle that the Church has always stood with the marginalized.
In theory, the Catholic Church shares this firm Biblical principle, and indeed the majority of Catholics agree with the Episcopal church in extending it also to the LGBT community. The exception, in the case of homoerotic relationships, is Catholic bishops who are prepared to sacrifice authentic Catholic values and Catholic families, where they are in conflict with Vatican ideology.
Members of the Episcopal Church in Minnesota, which held its annual convention over the weekend in Minneapolis, passed a resolution opposing the marriage amendment to the state constitution banning same-sex marriage.
The church is joining other denominations and non-profit organizations in signing the “Resolution against the Constitutional Amendment to Ban Marriage for Same-Sex Couples” as prepared and presented by Minnesotans United for All Families.
That group is trying to defeat the amendment set for a vote on the November 2012 ballot, which would define marriage as a union between a man and a woman.
“The Episcopal Church in Minnesota has always stood with the marginalized,” said Bishop Brian N. Prior, IX Bishop of Minnesota, said in a released statement. “Regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, gender orientation or immigrant status, Episcopalians in Minnesota have always embraced both the Gospel mandate of love of neighbor and the Baptismal Covenant imperative to respect the dignity of every human being.”
Episcopalians (which number about 22,000 members in Minnesota) join other faith-based groups already gearing up for the heated political battle ahead this year.
- Walter C. Righter dies; Episcopal bishop played role in gay rights in church
- Episcopal Church Leader Backs Scottish Government on Gay Marriage
- "Wrong and Impractical" (thewildreed.blogspot.com)
- Marriage Matters: Standing On the Side of Love (mlp.org)
- A Battle Between The Religions Brewing Over Same-Sex Amendment In MN (lezgetreal.com)
- Frank Griswold: "Maybe this is the desert time". (kiwianglo.wordpress.com)
- New Minnesota Poll Shows 48 Percent Favor, 43 Percent Oppose Anti-Gay Marriage Amendment (towleroad.com)
- more on same sex marriage in Scotland (thinkinganglicans.org.uk)